Joining the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, the injection molding team at A.L.P. LexaLite’s Charlevoix, MI facility mobilized to design and manufacture Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) face shields for front-line health care workers. They rapidly reorganized tooling and manufacturing functions to support this critical need, and they expect to have the first production models coming off the presses within days.
The company was initially approached by Charlevoix Hospital, looking for PPE. While primarily a manufacturer supplying components for lighting fixtures, A.L.P. has several customers in the health care sector. The team drew on its knowledge of health care requirements and standards to quickly design and tool the face shields in an unprecedented 10-day turnaround.
When in full production, A.L.P. can produce approximately 1400 face shields per day, and they plan to sell them at cost. “We will make them as long as they are needed,” states Steve Brown, CEO.
“This is one scenario I didn’t see coming,” Brown adds. “The COVID-19 crisis is tragic, yet it shows us what we can accomplish together when needed,” he observes. A.L.P. is not alone, as manufacturers all over the country are making similar efforts.
The A.L.P. face shield has some unique features. The plastic shield snaps onto a headband, and the shield is disposable. So, the caregiver can use the same headband throughout the day and simply snap on a new shield for each patient.
A.L.P. continues to operate during this crisis as an Essential Business, supplying into vital infrastructure such as construction, health care, transit, and government. The company has adjusted its practices, with the health and safety of employees, families, and communities as a top priority. The A.L.P. staff is working remotely when possible. All manufacturing locations have implemented additional measures to ensure safe distancing of employees, such as adjusting schedules, spacing equipment, and reorganizing meeting and break room spaces.
A.L.P. continues to monitor and respond to the challenges presented by the COVID-19 virus. We are following guidelines from the CDC, WHO and local health authorities. Where possible we are working remotely and leveraging virtual meeting technology as appropriate. We are also limiting business travel and on-site visitors. Additionally:
- A.L.P. has multiple manufacturing locations, and all operations are functioning. In the instance of regional, state, or federal Shelter-In-Place (or Stay-at-Home) orders, we interpret A.L.P. to be an “Essential Business” because we supply products to critical infrastructure operations, such as health care, construction, and government.
- A.L.P. is primarily a North American manufacturer; however, a small percentage of our parts and accessories are sourced overseas. We are in continuous contact with our suppliers and building inventory of imported products to try and minimize the impact of any future interruptions.
- We are working to increase inventory of certain high-volume products to mitigate supply chain disruptions.
- As of today, we have seen minimal impact on our supply of raw materials. We remain in close contact with our suppliers and will update you should we see or hear of disruptions that could impact our supply.
- A.L.P. has significant operations in Mexico, so we are tracking any developments pertaining to border closures that could impact the flow of goods to and from Mexico. Contingency planning is underway to minimize the possible impact from a border closing or forced plant shutdown.
- We are working closely with our logistics partners to ensure the timely delivery of your orders.
In these challenging times, circumstances change quickly. We are committed to supplying the highest level of service to our customers while taking care of our people and communities.
A.L.P. will be participating in many major lighting industry events in the coming months. Be sure to stop by to discuss your requirements and applications with our expert team!
IES Annual Conference
August 6-8, 2020
New Orleans, LA
August 18-19, 2020
New York, NY
Light + Build
September 27-October 2, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
IES Street and Area Lighting Conference
October 18-21, 2020
Postponed. New dates TBD.
Las Vegas, NV
- Better Value
- Improved Aesthetics
- Same Unsurpassed Optical Performance
- No assembly required
A.L.P.’s The Lindy® 424 and Little Lindy® 408 Post Top are now available in one-piece versions, for better looks, reduced cost and faster installation—with no need for a metal clamp band!
In this new evolution, we have kept the traditional, turn-of-the-century look for a scenic post-top ambiance, as well as the cutting-edge photometric performance. the refractor bottom and top are glued, eliminating the need for other unsightly attachment methods and sealing the assembly for lower maintenance.
- No clamp band for lower cost
- One-piece design so no added fabrication
- No field assembly for faster installation
- Sealed for lower maintenance
For The Lindy, our larger product, the assembled refractor bottom and top are 15.9” in diameter, 23.16” high and are available with 8” or 9” diameter fitters.
When assembled, our smaller version, The Little Lindy, is 14.11” in diameter, 19.05” high, and available with an 8” fitter.
Like our standard models, the one-piece versions come in UV Stabilized Acrylic in Clear, Lumieo®, and also clear Polycarbonate.