Product Engineering Manager or Optical Engineering Manager (Dependent on Facility)
Performs all functions required to design, develop and test a broad range of new products, special products and to modify and enhance existing products.
- Provide technical assistance to customers, customer service, sales staff, and sales representatives including providing technical data and drawings for product literature and installation instructions for marketing and sales presentations.
- Follow established NPD procedures and processes and ensure proper documentation is being developed for design and engineering efforts.
- Design and develop new, special, or improved products; use team management skills to lead the design group during the conceptual phase of product development.
- Develop product parts, component design and drawings, including material specifications, dimensions, structure, and tolerance requirements while working with production and manufacturing engineering departments to develop agreed upon product specifications as required.
- Direct development of an action plan and estimate requirements for resources—management, labor, materials, and time required to complete projects.
- Assess vendors for competence, capabilities, resources, and financial status.
- Manage progress of development projects, compare actual costs with estimates, ensure proper documentation, including ECNs, and action plans are developed.
- Where there is a local design group, work with that group to modify project plans as appropriate if problems arise.
- Review and study existing equipment, facilities, systems, and processes to improve efficiency, increase quality, and reduce costs.
- Coordinate marketing, purchasing, manufacturing and accounting, to estimate the cost and set tentative time schedules for new, special, or enhanced products.
- Analyze trends of the industries we serve to develop innovative concepts and solutions using A.L.P.’s capabilities.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 3 years minimum product design experience, 5 years desired along with lighting products experience
- Experience designing plastic thermoformed, injection molded, compression molded parts and sheet metal parts
- Familiarity with UL, CSA and other related lighting standards
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, and Modeling Software such as AutoCAD and/or Solid Edge Software.
Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org